Ann: a conference in Amsterdam, 30 June-2 July
The Abolition of the Slave Trade: Long-term Consequences
A conference at the IISH from 30 June until 2 July 2008.
The colloquium focuses on the long-term consequences of the British abolition of the Atlantic slave trade (1807-8):
- The "invention" of alternative forms of labor recruitment in the affected regions in the Americas;
- The influence of the abolition on struggles against unfree labor in other parts of the world;
- Impact of the abolition on Africa;
- Shifts in the production of tropical cash crops to other parts of the world and the possible link of these shifts to the Abolition Act;
- European abolition and the end of New World slavery as an ideological argument in favor of European colonialism.