We are looking for PhD and MA students who would like to present their current research on Eastern Europe, South Eastern Europe, and the former Soviet Union as part of the ZOiS Conference Poster Session. The call is open to all disciplines.
- Applicants must be working on their Master thesis or a PhD project
- The poster topic should be connected to the conference’s theme “Politics from below: Reasserting or transcending the democratic paradigm?” (this could mean that you present only a part of your project or look at your research topic from a slightly different angle)
- Candidates must provide a short summary of the poster content (max. 300 words)
- Deadline for poster proposals is 27 March 2020 (email@example.com)
- Your A1-format (upright) research poster should summarize your project and provide a basis for the discussion. To learn more about designing research posters consult https://guides.nyu.edu/posters
ZOiS Conference 2020
Politics from below: Reasserting or transcending the democratic paradigm?
24 April 2020 - ZOiS - Mohrenstr. 60 (2nd floor) - 10117 Berlin
What does the recent global trend of mass protests tell us about the state of democracy and authoritarianism? Is democracy working or failing? Are authoritarian regimes being destabilised? The 2020 ZOiS Conference explores the factors shaping this new wave of protest activism. Are there similarities in the strategies of mobilisation used across these regimes, spaces, countries and regions? What is the age profile of those who make themselves heard in different political settings around the world? What is the role of different off- and online-spaces enabling or constraining mobilisation? Through dialogue between different academic disciplines and area expertise, the conference will assess whether the global trend of mobilisation from below fits into a democratisation paradigm or whether it constitutes a new, local and potentially more radical form of politics that transcends the dividing line between democratic and authoritarian regimes.