Final call for themed sessions and abstracts for the Working Group Military Labour History (ELHN-WORCK Conference, Vienna, 30 August–3 September 2021), deadline 20 September 2020
Preliminary call for individual papers
We invite ideas for themed sessions and abstracts for the Military Labour History sessions at ELHN-WORCK 2021, Vienna, 30 August–3 September 2021, to be submitted by 20 September 2020.
One might not immediately think of the military when discussing issues related to workers and labour. Yet whether free or unfree, paid or unpaid, those assisting military-related tasks and objectives are involved in work; and militaries are dependent upon a range of labour, from soldiers to domestic workers, in order to function. Thus the Military Labour History Network is dedicated to exploring, defining, documenting, analysing and theorising military labour across time and geography and within various contexts.
At the ELHN 2021 Conference in Vienna, the Military Labour History Working Group aims to organise a series of sessions based around key themes. We are calling for ideas for themed sessions, as well as putting forward the following themes:
- Military labour history: why, what and how? - for this theme we are looking for papers dealing more broadly with concepts, theories, and/or methodologies in military labour history research;
- Resisting military labour - for example papers on deserters, conscientious objector, saboteurs, organised resistance within the armed forces;
- Gendering military labour - for example gender division(s) of military; and/or
- Recruitment of military labour - for example conscription, recruitment marketing campaigns, devshirme and other early modern military slavery systems.
If you would like to participate in one of the above themed sessions, please send the following to the Working Group Coordinators:
- The name of the theme
- A paper title and an abstract of up to 500 words
- If you are not already a member of the Working Group, a bio of up to 200 words
If you would like to propose a new themed session, please send the following to the Working Group Coordinators:
- The name of the themed session
- A short description of the theme, up to 200 words
- The names of three (3) to four (4) presenters for the themed session
- The paper titles for each presenter
- If available, abstracts for each presenter of up to 500 words each
- If not already members of the Working Group, bios for each presenter of up to 200 words
Send the above to one or all the Working Group Coordinators by 20 September:
- Christine de Matos, email@example.com
- Olli Siitonen, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fia Sundevall, email@example.com
As there are uncertainties due to Covid-19, also indicate whether you would be willing to give your presentation via an online session.
If you would like to join the ELHN Military Labour History Working Group mailing list and Facebook group, please state this in your contact email. You can also visit our webpage which includes our latest newsletters.