Call for Papers: “Labour & Coercion” at the 5th ELHN Conference
Uppsala, 11–13 June 2024
Deadline: 20 August 2023
ELHN’s “Labour & Coercion” working group, currently known as COST Action WORCK, invites proposals for papers for the fifth European Labour History Network conference. The event takes place from 11–13 June 2024 in Uppsala, Sweden, and is organised by the Swedish Labour Movement’s Archives and Library.
We are looking for papers showcasing new empirical work related to the frameworks developed in WORCK. These include, but are not limited to:
- Exploring social relations of coercion and dependency through historical semantics
- Looking at sites and fields of coercion, and investigating the practices that tie different sites of (labour) coercion together in a specific historical context
- Coercion and processes of im/mobilisation(s) of workers, as well as spatial perspectives on coercion
- Approaching coercion from the perspective of intersecting marginalities, and exploring the intersection between coercion and categories of difference (such as gender)
- The study of historical change and the temporality of coercion,
We welcome contributions on any period and region by colleagues of any career level who are members of ELHN’s working group “Labour & Coercion” and/or members of the COST Action WORCK.
We are looking for proposals for individual papers of max. 300 words. They should include your name, current affiliation and email address, and be sent to the coordinating committee by 20 August 2023.
PLEASE NOTE that WORCK will not fund your travels and participation in the conference, since the event takes place after the end date of the COST Action.
For further questions, please contact the coordination committee: