We are pleased to invite contributions to an edited volume on the theme of Slavery in the Middle East and North Africa in the 19th and 20th Centuries. The volume will be edited by Janet Afary and Eric Massie and will be published by I.B. Tauris as part of its series on Sex, Marriage, and the Family in the Middle East (Series Editors: Janet Afary and Claudia Yaghoobi).
Articles addressing the following themes are particularly encouraged, but all articles related to slavery in the Middle East and North Africa during the 19th and 20th centuries will be considered:
- The social construction of mastery and slavery in slaveholding-enslaved relationships
- The social construction of freedom and dependency in the process of manumission
- The gendered experience of slavery and use and abuse of the enslaved’s sexuality
- The familial and social lives of enslaved and manumitted persons
- Legal and customary practices regulating the familial and social lives of the enslaved
- Theorizations about the enslaved’s vulnerability in Middle Eastern and Islamic contexts
Please notify us of your intention to contribute by March 15th. The Article itself should be received by June 30, 2019. It should be in English and not exceed 10,000-12,000 words. Additional information about formatting will be sent after we receive your notification.
Please direct any inquiries to: