CFP: Feminist Labour History
Fifth ELHN Conference
Uppsala, 11 – 13 June 2024
The Feminist Labour History Working Group (WG) participates in the Fifth ELHN Conference with a number of events, including thematic sessions. For the latter, we invite members of the Working Group, and all other interested colleagues, to come up with paper and session proposals under the following open call:
Open Call for Proposals
*** EXTENDED DEADLINE July 20, 2023 ***
We are keen to receive session and paper proposals which present innovative, new research, and ongoing research in projects in the broad field of the history of gender and labour in Europe and around the world. We encourage the participation of young PhD and post-doctoral researchers as well as senior scholars.
The Feminist Labour History WG is interested in a broad range of themes and concepts in feminist labour history, including but not limited to the following:
- the intersection of class, race, gender, global inequality, etc. in all thematic areas of labour history
- the global gendered division of labour
- the historical engendering of various types and forms of labour
- the historical evolvement of the relationship between paid and unpaid or subsistence-oriented work
- commodification and decommodification of domestic and care work
- the role gender has played in shaping labour law and practice of regulating labour and the impact of labour law and labour practices on gender and gender relations
- trade unions and gender locally, nationally and internationally
- the politics of “women’s work” and “men’s work”
Information on the Feminist Labour History WG can be found here.
We also plan a book launch and a meeting of the Feminist Labour History Working Group.
One of the results of the activities of the Feminist Labour History WG is the publication of the volume Women, Work, and Activism: Chapters of an Inclusive History of Labor in the Long Twentieth Century, edited by Eloisa Betti, Leda Papastefanaki, Marica Tolomelli and Susan Zimmermann (CEU Press, 2022). The authors and editors invite all those interested to join the presentation of their volume, details of the event will be figured out later.
Meeting of the Feminist Labour History WG
All scholars with an interest in gendered labour history in Europe and around the world are invited to join a discussion about ideas and themes for future research and collaboration within and beyond the Working Group.
How to submit paper proposals (Open Call for Proposals)
Please send a 500-word abstract and a short academic CV (max 500 word) to WG coordinator, Eszter Varsa (email@example.com) by July 20, 2023. The proposal should include name, surname, current affiliation and contact details of the proponent. The subject of the email needs to be: “Feminist labour history ELHN 2024”.
If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to contact the coordination committee:
Time and Location
The Fifth Conference of the European Labour History Network (ELHN) will take place from 11 to 13 June 2024 at Uppsala University and in a hybrid setting. Local organizer: Arbetarrörelsens arkiv och bibliotek | Swedish Labour Movement’s Archives and Library.